Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cows in Plantersville



This picture of Doris holding me was taken behind our house and shows that we kept at least two cows. I'm guessing that I am one or two which would date the picture either 1941 or 2. Doris always had a large garden on the west side of the house and I remember a few chickens in the back yard when I was very young. As I got older I don't remember having any animals around.

After the war, as my friends and I roamed all over Plantersville, I don't remember encountering any livestock. Do any of you remember keeping animals in Plantersville?

Despite its bucolic name, Plantersville in the late 40s and early 50s was basically a suburb, or at least that is my memory of growing up there.

Cathy Johnson Garrett: "surely you remember cows in the pasture behind Cecil’s pecan grove that belonged to Carroll Mitchell. Fred Morgan kept cows in the pasture behind his (and our) house. Boyce McFarling had cows, so did Marlin Morgan, and Charlie Monts had cows and horses. I think Doc Smith had some, too. And all that livestock was in downtown Plantersville. There were some in the pasture on Cemetery Road across from where Roy Harris built his house, too."

No comments: