Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Winter of 50 or 51

The recent siege of cold weather reminds me of the winter of 50 or 51, someone help me with the correct date, when we endured snow and ice and cold weather for several weeks. I recall, as I think I've written before, the electricity being off for a long period of time, though we had ours turned on before some because Jerry Bishop was working for the electricity company, and we happened to be on the same line as his in-laws.

Would some of you share memories of that winter?

June Harris wrote: "I'm pretty sure it was '51. We'd had a smaller one a couple of years earlier, in 1949 if I recall correctly, but the bigger one was the second. We had kerosene heat in our house, as well as a kerosene stove for cooking, so we didn't suffer much. We did have to melt ice for water as all the pipes were frozen. And we did get our electricity on earlier than some because my uncle, Jerry Bishop, worked for the electric company and they hooked up the lines to our house along with those to my grandparents, his in-laws."
June

No comments: