Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fever

“To the living the times always seem bad. In most eras voices cry out against visible decadence; of every generation . . . the world is going to the dogs. Much of this can be attributed to biological and cultural realities, in every era some things are, in fact, dying out.”

The above is one of my favorite quotes which helps me understand why as we become older we tend to become nostalgic and reminisce and do things such as create a blog that looks backward to what we imagine was a better time. However, the author of the passage above points how that while we do lose some things, we also gain others.

It is human nature to remember the good and forget the bad. A recent discussion with a friend reminded me of what was not so wonderful growing up in the 40s and 50s.

Some of you will recall when comic books featured information explaining to us how to avoid Polio, and there were three or four boys in Plantersville, I don’t recall any girls, who were bedridden for months with a fever, was in scarlet or rheumatic?

While our grandchildren can’t roam around freely as we did, at least Polio, scarlet and rheumatic fever aren’t the threats they once were.

I think I know three of the boys who had the fever, but since I don't trust my memory, I'd rather someone confirm the names.

2 comments:

blueknightpoet said...

I felt nostaglic somewhere between 10-11 am, at the age of five. The wind was blowing and the sun had this quality of always being there, somehow permanantly fixed. I stopped being a child at that moment. I had not the words to express it, but it was a thieve took a part of me. I've never been the same since

blueknightpoet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.