Monday, November 27, 2006

Mitchell's Store

I read in the Plantersville Connection that you asked for confirmation that Harve Mitchell's store was once near Mr. Charlie Monts' store. Harve's store was next door to Arthur and Madge Bailey's house. The store was adjoining the woods across from the Mabry house that you used to walk through to get to your Aunt Grace's house. I got my social security number when I started to work for Harve at this location, working on his peddling truck that went up into the "tater hills" section, down to the Brewer community, and the Richmond area among others. I would box up eggs and put chickens in coops that we carried, as the farmers used eggs and chickens to barter.

Nearer to the turn of the century, the store was owned by Charles (Choc) Rogers, my grand-father's brother, and Tom Johnson, I believe, Cecil's father. Harve married Kittye Rogers, Uncle Choc's daughter. Uncle Choc's wife, Aunt Kittye, was the sister of Tom Johnson. When I was a youngster, Mr. Harve and Mr. Tom were running the store. It had originally been located next to the post office, which was across from the Lester Gunter house.


Roger Moore


Note from George: Does anyone remember what year Mr. Mitchell moved his store to the location next to the gin?

No comments: