Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Fire

Several years ago while walking through Andrew's Chapel Cemetery searching for the tombstone of my great-grandfather, I read a stone which indicated that a young mother and her four or five year old son had died on the same day in the 1920's. After leaving the cemetery, I stopped by and visited with the coffee club, and mentioned the mother and son. Marlin Morgan told me the story. I think it was Gene Monts's mother who raced into a fire to save her son and both perished. Since I no longer trust my memory, can someone share the particulars of this incident?

Amy Bostick: "The mother and son were V.Mary McCarty Monts and Robert Lee Monts. The 1st wife and son of Chester Swep Monts. The notes I show were he was playing with matches in the barn and caught it on fire and she died trying to save him."

No comments: