Tuesday, July 22, 2008

George Alexander and L. B. Morris


I may have posted this picture several years ago; I can't remember, but recently someone has wanted to view it.

George Alexander Morris, on the right, was born near Smithville in Monroe County; shortly after my grandmother, Sarchie Morris Kelly, was born, her mother died, probably from complications from child birth, and a few years later George Alexander remarried. He moved to a farm in Richmond where my grandmother grew up. George Alexander is buried at Andrew's Chapel. A cousin by marriage gave me pictures of a cabin near Smithville which she beleived is the place where my grandmother was born. I will post a picture of that cabin and would be very interested if anyone knows anything about it. Unfortunately, my cousin by marriage died shortly after giving me the picture.

L. B. Morris, on the left, is George Alexander's oldest son. In the forties when my mother and I lived with my grandmother in Plantersville, Uncle Bee, as we called him, lived with us. I'm not sure what year or for how long. I think while living there he took the mail bags to and from the railroad. I have mentioned how when I was older, I did that on several occasions; the bags had hooks on either end and were attached to a pole; the train came by at a high rate of speed and a man on the train hooked the bag, while another man threw out a bag.

Any of you who has driven on the Bill Morris Parkway in Memphis might be interested to know that the Bill Morris the parkway is named for is Uncle Bee's grandson.

No comments: