Saturday, April 30, 2011

Smithville

Our thoughts and prayers are with those who live in Smithville or have family and friends who live there.

My grandmother, Sarchie Morris, was born there. My great-grandmother was a Pearce from Smithville. I have a copy of The History of Smithville written a number of years ago by Miss Jessie Pearce, who was my grandmother's first cousin. According to her book, my great-grandmother was the first person buried in Pearce Chapel's Cemetery which is just outside Smithville. Some time after my great-grandmother's death when my grandmother was very young, my great-grandfather married a woman from Richmond and moved his family from Smithville to Richmond.

I'm certain that some of the people living there are my distant cousins.

Again, our hearts go out to the people of Smithville.

No comments: