Thursday, June 01, 2006

Cecil and John Wayne

Cathy Johnson Garrett wrote:

"One of Cecil's most prized possessions somehow wound up among my father's personal effects - a photo of him shaking hands with actor John Wayne, who was visiting the troops where Cecil was stationed. I'll try to find it and send it to you."

I remember that picture well and often have wondered what became of it. As I recall Cecil's story. He was one of the few in his outfit who had a camera, and one of the guys stuck his head in the tent one day and told him to come take a picture of John Wayne. Cecil's reply, "Who's John Wayne."

I believe the picture was taken in New Guinea.

George

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

After feverishly fumbling through boxes and more boxes of memorabillia, I found the picture! We need to find out who has Cecil's collection of old pictures. My number one suspect is Ken Mitchell.