Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas Memories

I know this is an extremely busy time of the year, but perhaps some of you might share your Christmas memories with us.

I can’t recall a special Christmas memory nor a gift that stands out. Many of my memories concern food. When you entered Mama”s house, the first thing a visitor saw was the large dining room table which almost always had a cake or pie on it, but during the holiday season it would be laden with sweet potato, chocolate, cocoanut and mince meat pies, all kinds of cakes and various types of fudge; I remember the carmel pecan (the secret recipe one), chocolate fudge, (my favorite), date logs and divinity. When someone brought Mama a gift, that person left with a cake or pie or candy, and Doris took sweets to the other “shut ins” in town.

On Christmas Day, there was, of course, lots and lots of food. Uncle Ernest and Uncle Morris and their families came from Memphis while Aunt Cile and her son drove up from Starkville. The kids ate in the front bedroom on card tables.

After lunch we shared gifts. I usually received money and clothes. There would also be candy and fruit.

On Christmas Eve, I remember the excitement at Mr. Roy’s store as folks loaded boxes with goodies for Christmas.


If others will share their memories, my own memories may become more vivid.

No comments: