Saturday, May 19, 2007

Movies in Plantersville

I miss talking about old times with Mike Collier. In one of our conversations, Mike mentioned, if my memory is correct, someone in Plantersville showing movies. I don't have any recollection of that. Where were these movies shown, who showed them,and can anyone remember what movies were shown?



"Buford Partlow was the Movie man in Plantersville. In the early 1950's my dad had a theater in Saltillo and Mantachie. He ordered the movie reels and we picked them up at the bus station. ( I should know, I went everywhere he went). Since he ran these on the weekend, he decided to show the movies at home during the week. So on the east side of our white shingled house we had movies, straight back chairs and a makeshift concession for popcorn and drinks.

We lived on what is Poplar Street today next to Cleon and Sarah Walker, Brenda leaves there today. At the east end of this street were some very large trees, so the movie was free to those who wanted to climb and they
did. This did not last for long, but it was fun having a theater in your own yard. I really can't remember any certain movies, but I feel like most were Westerns, probably John Wayne, Audie Murphy etc. This is briefly what I remember."


Lynette Brown

Thanks to Lynette for sharing and jarring my memory; Mike did mention that they were at Buford's house. Somehow, I missed movie nights, and am sorry I did.

Note from George: I have tried several tricks to correct the formatting problem on this entry; so far hasn't work; if I can't fix it soon, I'll retype the post.

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

I remember films being shown in the school auditorium, but seems they were educational films.