Friday, September 12, 2008

Before Marriage 1925


This picture of Aunt Johnnie and Uncle Fielden was taken in 1925 just before their marriage.

The picture was taken, I'm fairly certain, on my grandparent's front yard. It appears that the driveway to the house was on the east side of the house while in my earliest memory, it was on the west side.

I wonder if that is Mr. Monts or Mr. Mitchell's store in the distance. Does anyone know the dates when those stores were built, and what year did Mr. Mitchell move his?

I have been exchanging e-mails with Gwen McFarling Daniel about this picture and she has stirred the recesses of my consciousness; I am fairly certain that the fence with the tree next to the road is our property line. I used to sit on that tree before the stores were built and wait for a car to pass which some time seemed to take forever.

I am guessing that the driveway to our house was on the east then because on the west was our garden; in our pasture between our house and the Price/Coggin house was part of a foundation of a garage or filling station or shop of some kind. No one has ever been able to give me any information on this structure, but I clearly remember the foundation. I'm assuming that it belong to the Repults who my grandparents bought the house from.

No comments: