Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Remembering Mamie Lou


Plantersville lost one of her very, very special people this week with the death of Mamie Lou Partlow Ruff.

I went by the funeral home on Monday and visited briefly with Dorothy Jean and her husband, but due to a conflict was not able to attend her funeral Tuesday.

No one who ever met Mamie Lou is likely to forget her; she was in many ways larger than life with that wonderful smile and infectious laugh. As most of you know, she was Doris's younger sister and therefore a part of my life from the moment of my birth; unfortunately, we all become so busy with our lives that we neglect old friends, and while I had talked to her on the telephone a couple of years ago, it had been several years since we visited. I had not known that she had battled cancer for the past year.

Carole and I use several of her recipes and talk of her often.

I would love to post memories of her on this blog. Please make comments on the blog or e-mail them to me.

From Carole: Mamie Lou was such a special lady, and we mourn her loss. As George said, we often speak of her. The "Plantersville Cookbook" from the '60s included Mamie Lou recipes that we still use, and I treasure the memory of her giving me cooking tips for foods like sweet potatoes, tips that I really needed since I could barely boil water and my gravy was sliceable . . .What joys, what special persons Mamie Lou and Doris were. They will always be a part of our lives.

1 comment:

Ms. Shannon said...

Hello. I am the youngest granchild of Mamie Lou Ruff and I wanted to say thank you for posting this! She set the tone for all of us on how to always treat people with respect and how to always be a nice person!! I thank you for the nice things you said and maybe one day, we can all sit down and talk about the many ways she affected our lives!! Again thank you!