Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Visit to Plantersville and Beyond

Carole and I just returned from a quick trip to Tupelo and Plantersville. I have a couple of cousins who are facing health issues and spent time with them. My cousin, Carl Kingsley, whose daughter Sandra lives in Plantersville, will be having surgery at the Veteran's Hospital in Memphis soon. And my cousin, Juanita "Sis" Duke, is in the nursing home after suffering several strokes. Her condition is not good so please add both Carl and Sis to your prayer lists.

Sis was a frequent visitor to Plantersville as she was like a daughter to my mother. She and her husband, Cecil, were invaluable to me in helping with my mother.

And speaking of assisting my mother, I visited today with Frances Helms; Aaron was off shopping. Frances has severe back problems.

Without Aaron and Frances, cousins and neighbors, and Cecil and Sis, my mother would not have been able to stay by herself as long as she did.

While in Plantersville, I noticed there is a large house under construction in those woods that were behind and beside the old Blackwell place. Butch and I played often in those woods. The area next to where the roads cross has been cleared and someone told me the house there is the old Earl Kelly house that was moved from behind the Baptist Church; can anyone confirm this?

Also, Butch's old house, the one across from Sherry's old house, has been damaged by a fire. I don't know when that occurred.

Fred Morgan's old house, I think I am correct, and Brother Johnson's old house are both for sale.

Carole Makes A Stormy Comment for April 5:
Plantersville must have been south of the awesome path of the Sunday, April 5, 1936, tornado that is such a vivid part of Tupelo history. My mother Altha J. Tackett has recalled what her Jeffreys family went through that awful night and in the weeks that followed. I have asked residents of Saltillo, Verona, Pontotoc, and other towns nearby about their hearing the news; I can't remember comments from our Plantersville Connections . . .Mother mentioned the other day that the day falls on a Sunday again. It has been quite a stormy year already with our area hearing much about Magee's destruction. Any memories?

No comments: