Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One Week +

So many touching, special thoughts and acts of kindness have come this family's way in past days. Thanks to all. Calls from those who have experienced this type of loss and the sweetest notes have come from friends at the office, from family, from the church family, from the community, from Hinds Community College, from Plantersville, Senatobia, Gulf Shores, Tennessee, Texas, Connecticut, Ocean Springs, Tupelo, Pontotoc, Cleveland, from the offices and churches of Cam, Tim, and Margaret. All represent much needed and very much appreciated support.
George said in his final note to me, "I know how sentimental you are but I wanted you to be happy while we were together. . . " (Was there an underlying fact or just an awareness of possibility expressed here, I don't know.) Yes, I am very sentimental, so sentimental that I think my brain just blocked out the fact that yesterday was the one-week anniversary of this most devastating time. It finally hit me late last night: Tuesday, two weeks ago from the episode, one week ago, the surgery . . .Cam was so aware and was, of course, very upset, and we had talked, but I had just kind of rambled through the day. My friend Janice, who has a 'first-hand' knowledge, came over to visit around six, for us to talk and to eat together. As she asked questions, and I had the privilege of sharing the history of George's and my meeting in the '60s, a time frame jumped out at us that I had not realized. He and I had driven to Memphis in July 1965, I think it was actually July 5, and this action brought us together to stay after we had experienced several chance meetings. And then the final day: July 5, 2011. Yes, I admit to being sentimental about dates, about coincidences, or perhaps about the awareness of "This was all a plan."

No comments: