Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"Sing No Sad Songs . . ." George Mentioned in February

Christine Rossetti:
When I am dead, my dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me ;
Plant thou no roses at my head,
Nor shady cypress tree :
Be the green grass above me
With showers and dewdrops wet ;
And if thou wilt, remember,
And if thou wilt, forget.

I shall not see the shadows,
I shall not feel the rain;
I shall not hear the nightingale
Sing on, as if in pain;
And dreaming through the twilight
That doth not rise nor set,
Haply I may remember,
And haply may forget. Christina Rossetti

After the final service for George Friday, July 8, I discovered a sentence I had jotted down in my little blue book earlier in the year during the time of my mother's death and services: ' "Sing No Sad Songs for Me" George's preference for service reading'. . .(a few words in shorthand). I use it here on his "P. C." Plantersville Connection" because in the suddenness of what has happened, I did not remember the conversation or note. So I plant it here, on his site.
Four ministers presided over the Clinton First Baptist Church service ever so beautifully Thursday, July 7, Dr. John Compton and the Rev. Ramey Hankins, First Baptist; the Rev. Paul Sims of Pontotoc, our cousin; and Dr. B. J. Bennett of Ridgeland First Baptist, Cam's pastor. Special music included the wonderful presentation of "How Great Thou Art" by the Rev. Bill and Martha Bacon. At the Plantersville Cemetery site, Cousin Tip presided ever so graciously, our family spokesman, remembering George's specialness and delivering the vital spiritual message.
Later at the home of Margaret, my sister, I opened Mother's Bible and found a booklet entitled "Joy" that included a poem "After Glow" by Carol Mirkel . . . "I'd like the memory of me to be a happy one. I'd like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I'd like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways. Of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days. I'd like the tears of those who grieve, to dry before the sun Of happy memories that I leave When life is done."
As one blogger suggested, violation of any copyright is unintended, and I know George was always so careful about that in his writings, ever respectful of other's work and the use thereof. But here it is, his preference and the special little poem-thought that fell from Mother's Bible right into my hands, then followed by my reading of past notes earlier in the year. It was very much like a message . . .As I said, the celebration services were handled beautifully by our ministers (I can hear George saying, 'Four ministers, Carole?') He deserved it, with each of those dear men bringing to the time different, special messages. Former First Baptist minister Dr. Russell McIntire served as the honorary captain of pallbearers and led the family prayer prior to the service; pallbearers were Jerry Carr, Alec Valentine, Willie Greer, Andrew King, Randall Teasley, Presley Pettit, David Sellers, Trey Sellers, and Jerry Broome. Retired missionary to Brazil, Dr. Raymond Kolb, a special friend of George's, honored the family by sitting with them in the services in the old sanctuary. "Narrow but difficult": what days we face ahead. It's difficult to attempt a smile while trying to realize what has happened in a twinkling (we had planned to have George home from hospital for recovery Sunday or Monday). But then something will happen, a thought will occur--and I smile.
Fine food, lovely plants and flowers, and wonderful cards with dear notes and messages, the presence of so many friends at the services . . .Cam, Tim, Carly and I can never say 'thank you' in enough different languages, (not that we speak in different languages), but heartfelt gratitude for all expressions of love and support.
George's cousins, his Plantersville connections he loved dearly, some of our Tupelo High classmates, and friends from Senatobia, from Northwest Community College days, Barbara and John Osier, were there in the steamingly hot cemetery Friday for the final service. Other Northwest friends Susanna and Orren Lax, now in Gulf Shores, who had seen George in Orange Beach the day of his episode/event, whatever the best/worst word is, made the long drive to Clinton for services, so it worked out to have them at each service.
One thing I know displeased George. . .I was a few minutes late for that service, and a top peeve of his was tardiness . . .So sorry, Boochie, and to all . . . I'll try to be better.
Holland Funeral Directors, Steve, Sadie, Rodney, were there to handle every little detail perfectly. I love Steve's instruction, both at Mother's and at George's, probably at others, as attendees hesitate to sit in the chairs arranged at the site: "Come over here and sit down in these seats, George paid enough for them!"

No comments: