Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Borden's Lake

The bald eagle's visit to Borden's Lake caused me to reminisce about the lake. Doris took us fishing at both Mabry's Lake and Borden's Lake. We always had more luck at Borden's; in fact, I'm fairly certain that was where I caught my first fish. Once while fishing with my cousin from Starkville, Doris caught six or seven fish and tied them to a tree to my cousin's great amusement.

Since Plantersville was not incorporated in my youth, Borden's Lake served as the northern boundary for me with the school being the southern boundary. The railroad was the western; the eastern one is more difficult. Any ideas?

Borden's Lake was there as long as I can remember; does anyone know its history?

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

The eastern boundary for me was behind Will Partlow's house, Joe Rogers' house, the cemetery, then angled across where the water tower is and on up to Buford Partlow's house. Jane Parker (the one that was my age) and I had an argument one time about my not being a "country kid" because the road in front of our house was paved. Only if the road was dirt or gravel could you claim to live "in the country," according to her. She said my family lived "in town" which never made much sense to me since there was no town, far as I could tell. We were about 10 years old at the time.

Boundaries shifted, in my mind, when Highway 6 was rerouted, so I may not have this exactly right. What year was that?