Thursday, November 06, 2008

Remembering Mrs. Gibens

I was in the tenth grade the last year that Plantersville had a high school and transferred to Tupelo High and therefore did not attend Lawhon as did many of you who are younger than I am; hence, I did not know Mrs. Gibens as a teacher.

I remember, or think I do, around 1950, my mother telling me she was going to Alliene's for a club meeting, I think my mother was a co-host, and I thought she was going to Butch's house and wondered why I couldn't go along and play with him; she laughed and told me that it was at Alliene Gibens' house.

In the late 50s, I finally worked up enough nerve to get my driver's license one Friday afternoon, and that night I was allowed to take the car for the first time; the first place I drove by myself was to Mrs. Gibens' house; she was giving a party for one of the seniors at THS. I can't remember who the party was for, or anything about the party, but will never forget the exhilaration of my first time to drive without anyone in the car.

No comments: