Thursday, October 26, 2006

Going to the Drug Store

After my mother’s illness in 1997, I drove to Tupelo every few weeks to run errands for her which included frequent trips to the pharmacy. There were two young ladies working there most of the time, Melanie and Laurie. Both were so friendly and efficient that I wrote the management of the store complimenting them. Laurie went out of her way to help me, and on several occasions when I couldn’t make the trip, I would call and Laurie would make certain my mother received her medicine.

Laurie was married and living in New Albany, I think, and at one point during this period was expecting her first child. One day I went in and the birth announcement was on the desk listing the grandparents as Terry and Larue Peters.

I found a picture of Terry and Larue and Laurie and her sisters, Katey and Molly, in the 1994 Plantersville First Baptist Church directory; however, pictures in directories, I have discovered, do not copy well.

At one time the Peters family lived near us, and my grandmother, who loved and respected many, I think respected Mrs. Peters as much as anyone she knew. Mrs. Peters would be proud of her granddaughter, Laurie.

During the time I visited this pharmacy, I had other Plantersville connections. On several occasions when Melanie was not working, the pharmacist who helped me was Chip Fowler, the son of Joe and Mary Kathryn Park Fowler and on one other occasion the pharmacist was Robert Hall, who is the son of Raymon Stovall’s niece, Jo Nell Hall. Both these young men were very helpful as well.

In fact, going to the pharmacy in Tupelo became a very pleasant experience until check writing time.

No comments: