Monday, October 30, 2006

June Harris on Halloween

What I remember is that we used to have Halloween celebrations at the school. There would be cakewalks, apple bobbing, "fishing" for prizes, and all that. One year, some group was selling chances on a Halloween cake from a bakery--a treat to those of us who were accustomed to home made--now, of course, the opposite is true; home made is best. The chances on the cake were 10 cents each, and my uncle George talked me into spending my lunch money for a chance. One raffle ticket. And , as luck would have it, I actually won. As I recall, I came home from school looking forward to a slice of my cake, to find that my family had scarfed it all up before I got there. Dang.

But I remember that what we did on Halloween was go to the high school building and have a great good time. That was either pre-trick-or-treating, or that was some Yankee tradition we'd not adopted yet...

1 comment:

PHarris said...

June,

I remember those good times also...I remember the cake walk, but not how it worked.

Price
phea2@aol.com