Monday, October 30, 2006

Happy Halloween


June mentions in her post whether trick or treating was a Yankee thing; I never went nor knew anyone in Plantersville who did, though, Carole, did trick or treat in Tupelo and my friend, Jerry Carr also from Tupelo, said that they used to wear masks and combine shooting firecrackers with stopping for treats.

My uncles and my stepfather told stories of Halloween night which included tricks with no treats. Tipping over outhouses and dismantling buggies and reassembling them in the hay loft come to mind.

I remember, as others note, the carnival at the school and hay rides; I’m not sure whether the hay rides were part of the carnival or separate; it was on a hay ride that I first held hands with a girl, I won’t embarrass her by naming her.

As I grew older, we used to go serenading on Halloween Night which consisted of throwing cherry bombs at houses. We would purchase our cherry bombs on Halloween afternoon from Boyce McFarland, and every time he warned us not to serenade a certain house as the occupant had been shell shocked in the war; of course, that was the first place we headed until the night he fired a shotgun. In the air or at us? I don't know, since I ran as soon as I saw him coming outside with the gun.

There’s a story about dragging a sack full of cotton from the woods east of Borden’s Lake across the highway in front of oncoming traffic. Was that a Halloween prank?

2 comments:

C J Garrett said...

No, that was Richard and Robert Borden, and sometimes Jamie Rogers. I heard all about the near wrecks they caused. One year they did this in front of Doc Smith's vehicle and he got out and threatened to arrest them. Was he a constable or deputy sheriff or something?

C J Garrett said...

What I left out was that it wasn't just on Halloween that they did this, even though that was probably one of the occasions when it happened.