Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sandbox



Children enjoy Cecil's large sandbox. Can someone give a chronology of the development of Cecil's park? I remember the old house and playing baseball on the field behind the Parker's; actually I wasn't much of a baseball player but enjoyed riding the T-Model as Cecil dragged the infield and chasing balls. As I remember the field, it had a fence that ran from right field to center but not to left. Was there a reason for no field in left?

I recall the time when we watched Cecil tear down the old house and build the new one, and at some point he installed the clay court. I know that in 1965 he had a wall to practice tennis, and at some point about that time, he put up a slide.

In my memory for a long time, there was only the tennis court.

I have no memory of the sandbox or of the shuffleboard court, if that’s the proper term.

2 comments:

C J Garrett said...

Benji needs to look at this. He could probably id most of these kids. He is behind the boy in the striped shirt. That skinny woman with sunglasses is me. That may be Ricky that I'm talking to, not sure.

Zoilus said...

I think that's Chris Williams to my left, and perhaps Darrin Grimes looking at the camera. I would think that's Ricky holding your wrist (would any other child be so familiar?), but the rest are just too dusty to retrieve for me. I was only like four in that picture, anyway. My Cecil's park heyday was 1978-1983 (isn't that when he closed the park?).