Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Questions about Thanksgiving picture

Is that a structure across from Monts's store; if so, what is it? Wasn't the Mabry house farther off the road than that?

Is the road paved? Does anyone know when it was first paved?

I remember coming home from Butch's one day barefooted (I always cut across Earl Kelly's yard), and having to sit by the post office and wait until they finished paving the road and the pavement cooled.

In response to Cathy's comments: If I remember correctly, the Mabry house was back off the road across from the store, and in my memory there was still furniture in the house and curtains on the windows. I don't recall any fields in front of the house. Charlie Monts sold Pure Oil; Raymon Stovall drove a truck for Pure Oil from ca. 1949 until his illness in the early 60s. In all my memories the road is paved.

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

This road is not paved. Across from the store it looks like a field road with maybe a cotton wagon on it. Was that a cotton field back then? And do I see a Pure sign above your head? Did the Price family live in the same house we knew as June and Doris Coggins' house? Have any of the unidentified people in your pictures been identified yet? Please tell us when you find out who they are.