Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tom Thumb Wedding



A lot of us were in this production. Those I think I recognize are starting on the left: Jim Woods, June Harris, Linda Stovall, Jimmy Williams, Winnie Borden, and after that am not certain.

In the tenth grade, I was in a play on this stage. I remember the stage but can't picture what building it was in or anything about its location.

June Harris comments: "That was an operetta called "Wedding of the Flowers," or something similar. Winnie and I were the announcers and we introduced each of the acts in really sappy verse. Each grade had the kids come in and do a song. I think we were in fifth grade (could have been fourth) when that was presented, and we did it in the old auditorium that was part of the high school at the time. I can remember that the boys in our grade (I think) were sunflowers and they just hated doing that. The younger kids were okay with it, but the older boys just hated it. But we did an operetta just about every year. I remember when we were--maybe first grade--we were raindrops and we wore blue shorts and shirts. I made a misstep one time and Miss Maida swatted me on the rear, and I was so humiliated. I worried and worried about whether it counted as getting spanked in school, a practice in frequent use in those days, and one to be avoided by a person who deemed herself above that. Anyway, we wore those crepe paper costumes that itched like mad. The Gooches had come when we were in fourth grade, so it had to be either fourth or fifth grade.

Do you remember in fifth grade when we went to Shiloh and over to Sardis dam? I'd had measles and was so afraid they wouldn't let me go, but I got to. That was a highlight. I remember that my folks couldn't come in to school to pick me up after we got back, so I had to wait in Roy Partlow's store till they could come in and get me. That's the only time I've ever been to Shiloh; someday I'm going back to visit again."

No comments: