Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Ragamuffin Hitchhikers

Lucille Kelly Stennis and her son, Tom, who is five years older than I am, lived in Starkville where she worked with the Extension Service at Miss. State. Her husband, Lamar, was killed in an automobile accident when Tom was about six months old. Every summer they came to Plantersville so Aunt Cile could help Doris “put up” whatever vegetables and fruits available.

One day in either 1948 or 49, Tom, Butch, Eleanor Ann Partlow, Dorothy Ann Trayor and I ( and there may have been others I have forgotten) were playing in my grandmother’s front yard. Tom kept going in and asking his mother if she would take us to Tupelo to a movie. Tom finally asked if we could get a ride could we go, and my aunt just to keep him out of the kitchen said okay.

The group of us, all filthy and a couple barefooted started walking toward Tupelo until a nice man in a cattle truck stopped and picked us up. When we reached Tupelo, he would not release us until he marched us in Hardin’s Bakery where my mother worked to make sure we were not running away,. Hardins Bakery was then located on Main Street, west of Westbrooks.

We finally were allowed to go to the Lyric; I don’t know why I remember or if my memory is accurate, but the movie I believe we saw was The Paradine Case, one of Alfred Hitchcock’s lesser efforts and a rather talky and slow moving movie for kids.

The nice and concerned man who gave us a ride was Mr. Park, Mary Kathryn’s father.

No comments: