Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Roger Moore

I received the following e-mail from Roger:

"I am Roger Moore, son of Mack Moore and Juanita Rogers Moore and grandson of Achilles Rogers and "Miss Willie" Rogers. I graduated from Plantersville High School in 1945. My first cousin, Robert Rogers, sent your Plantersville Connection blog site to his sister, Elizabeth Rogers Bilbo, who forwarded it to me. Thank you for what you are doing. Thank you for including the story about your mother relating the message about the death of my brother, Mack Jr., to my folks in 1942. Thank you, also, for relating the story of the murder of my grandfather. My mother told me that a Mr. Jones was tried for the murder and acquitted but confessed to the murder on his death bed.

I am glad that you are recognizing Cecil Johnson and the many things he did for the children in Plantersville. You asked for additional stories regarding Cecil. Cecil loved baseball. He played center field on the local baseball team in the late 1930's that also included Ed Parker, Hulon "Shine" Parker, Joe Rogers, Jiggs Monts and the men in that age group. The ball field was located in the pasture behind Mr. Brown Parker's house. It was a beautiful ball park. Cecil would spend hours mowing the field and scraping the infield. When I was a youngster, Cecil would spend a great deal of time knocking fungoes (fly balls) to the kids my age. Finishing up the practice, he liked to run laps around the outside of the infield. It kept him in good condition, which helped him when he was drafted during World War II, although he was nearly 35 years old. Cecil was sent to the South Pacific. His letters home were censored, as were all letters from the soldiers; however, Cecil would add a letter from the alphabet to the bottom of each letter home. He started with the letter "G", followed with the letter "O" in his next letter, etc., until he spelled out the words "Good Enough." That was an island just off New Guinea, where he was stationed.

It was good to see the picture of Doris. I was no longer in the area, but didn't Doris wind up living in your Grandmother's house? I will forward your site to several "old timers" from Plantersville."

2 comments:

C J Garrett said...

One of Cecil's most prized possessions somehow wound up among my father's personal effects - a photo of him shaking hands with actor John Wayne, who was visiting the troops where Cecil was stationed. I'll try to find it and send it to you.

Jack Price said...

Another Cecil Johnson Story
When I was about 15 Year's old, this Particular Saturday, I needed 25 Cents..That would get me a movie ticket at the Lyric, a bag of Popcorn and Train Ticket home.I noticed Cecil out in his grove of Pecan tree's, picking Pecans..I asked him did he need any help, I told him of my needs...He replied back " No,didn't need any help " I just ignored him and started picking up Pecan's..We worked all afternoon and I did most of the talking and when we got the last bucket full..Cecil gave me a quarter and a dime !! When I left him, I ran all the way home, soo happy !!I also mowed his Yard a lot also.. I really liked Cecil...